Clubhouse Accommodation: If you visit the Members’ Secretary, at the top of the Clubhouse, you will be standing in an area that was originally residential accommodation for Club staff. For 121 years, Club stewards lived in the Clubhouse and it was customary for his wife to see the catering requirements.
Originally the steward’s apartments were in the basement but they were relocated to the first floor in 1862 before being moved again as part of the 1882 remodelling of the Clubhouse. Further residential rooms for servants were built on the eastern side of the building during alterations made in 1889, with the accommodation reaching its final form after the 1925 extension.
In 1975, the position of Steward was abolished and replaced with a non-residential Clubhouse Manager, with the accompanying apartments being converted into offices and staff facilities in 1979. Further work in 2002 removed the last traces of residential features.
Waldon House: Purchased in 1980, Waldon House overlooks the 18th and first fairway of the Old Course and acts as a ‘Dormie House’ for members, their families and guests. Bookings are also available for the general public.
The Union Parlour: The Union Parlour, the first permanent clubhouse facility used by The Royal and Ancient Golf Club, stood on the corner of Golf Place and the Scores and was in use between 1835 and 1854.
In 1853, it was decided to leave the Union Parlour, which was leased, and build a new clubhouse that would evolve into the building we recognise today as the home of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.
Beach House: Constructed when Golf Place was first developed in the early 1830s, Beach House was originally a two-storey building, which had a further floor added in the early 1880s. It was bought by the Club in 1988 to house the Championship Department, who have occupied it since 1989. The building next door, Nine Golf Place, was purchased in 1999 and the Rules Department moved in the following year.
These two properties are among the oldest buildings owned by the Club, their construction predating the Clubhouse and parts of the surviving structures within the Forgan House complex.
Forgan House: Adjacent to the 18th green of the Old Course is Forgan House, a property purchased by the Club in 1998 and which, after extensive renovation, was opened in 2001. The front rooms, with their wonderful views over the links and the North Sea, form part of the members’ facilities with much of the rest of the building given over to administrative functions.
It is entirely fitting that a site which began life as Robert Forgan’s club-making workshop should now form part of The R&A’s Equipment Standards laboratories.
Forgan House History: The Forgan House of today has emerged from a complex history, which began with five different buildings. One of those five, Six Pilmour Place, was the home of Old Tom Morris from 1866 until his death in 1908.
The remaining four properties formed the site of Robert Forgan and Son from c1858 to 1963, evolving, in those 105 years, from a very small business into a world-renowned club and ball-making factory.
Forgan began his career in 1852 working next door for his uncle, Hugh Philip, in what is now the Tom Morris Golf Shop. After Philip’s death in 1856, he rented Five Pilmour Links and moved his club-making business to a shed in the garden.
By 1882, he had acquired and developed the plot to the east before purchasing the property next to it in 1888. The whole site was remodelled in 1908, merging the three buildings which faced the links into one, and expanding the club-making facilities back towards the house of Five Pilmour Links.
It was not until 1924 that Number Five was incorporated into the factory.