Appendix D - Handicap Review
The process gives a the ability to ensure the of a player reflects their demonstrated ability. It is strongly recommended that a conduct a at least annually for all who have designated that as their .
- The World Handicap System software specifications will recommend reports and notifications to assist to identify those players who require a . A review can be conducted annually or as otherwise necessary.
- A player must be made aware of, and be given the opportunity to contribute towards, the process to the extent practicable and must have recourse to an appeals procedure, if requested.
The can be initiated by:
- The requirement for affiliated within their to conduct an annual for all players who hold a .
- The wishing to review the handicap of a player who is consistently returning scores that do not reflect their demonstrated ability.
- The player requesting a
following a period where they feel their scoring returns do not align with their current .
When conducting a , the might consider:
- The player’s history.
- The trend of the player’s , such as differences in a player’s over the past 12–24 months.
- Deviations from the expected scoring performance for the player.
- Frequency of score submissions in the past 12 months versus previous 12-month cycles.
- Comparison of average between competitive and casual rounds.
- Comparison of average in match play versus stroke play formats of play.
- Comparison of average in individual versus team formats of play.
- Any scores from, or performances known, in non-authorized formats of play.
- Any other knowledge that the has relative to the player’s golfing ability. For example, improving play following golf lessons, declining scoring potential due to frequency of playing, ageing, incapacitating injuries or illness, etc.
- Percentage of submitted at a player’s .
- Percentage of submitted from casual round formats.
- Percentage of from 9-hole rounds.
- Identifying relevant handicapping trends for consideration.
- Length of time since a player last played to their .
- Number of scores since a player last played to their .
- Information supplied by any other where the player is a .